I had a recurring dream as a kid… well it was more like a nightmare actually.
This massive brown bear would chase me along an abandoned, dirt track in the middle of nowhere, growling and panting as it moved ever closer.
The bear never caught me but I still have vivid memories of the fear that engulfed me as my little legs carried me as fast as they could down the lonely track, away from danger
Everyone’s afraid of something and as kids, that fear is very real even though it might sound completely absurd to an adult.
Once we grow up though, those fears change.
We are less afraid of spiders, thunderstorms and bumps in the night and more fearful of things like public speaking, flying in a plane or failing at a particular task.
So what is fear?
I often hear it described using the acronym, ‘False Expectations Appearing Real’ and for me that articulates it perfectly.
For others, fear is very real and can be incredibly debilitating, to the point where it takes over their life and becomes a reality.
Here’s the thing… we all have fear. It comes down to whether you use it to create momentum or allow it to keep you imprisoned.
As Australians, let’s face it, we all lead a pretty comfortable life…. but that life of comfort is often the blockage that stops us from achieving greatness.
Living within our own comfort zone coupled with the fear of leaving it, makes it pretty difficult to see the value of moving onwards and upwards to a life of complete fulfilment.
So what fears do you have that are holding you back in your property investing? Let me take a guess:
- Fear of losing money on a property deal – “What if I blow all the savings that I’ve been accumulating for the past 10 years?”
- Fear of failing to implement a strategy correctly – “What if I miss a step in the process and completely stuff it up?”
- Fear of looking silly in front of your peers – “What if I don’t succeed and have to go back to my job… what will everyone say?”
- Fear of getting ripped off – “What if someone takes advantage of my lack of skill or knowledge?”
- Fear of the unknown – “What if I’m not smart enough or can’t find the knowledge to make it work”
These are all valid fears and I’m sure anyone could justify each one of the above points as to why they couldn’t take the next step in their property investing journey.
But let’s turn this around and use fear in a more proactive way. Let’s say….
- You hate your job.
- Or maybe you love your job but you hate that it takes up all your time.
- Or maybe you don’t care what you do for a job but you just hate that you never have enough money or time to do the things you want in life.
Whatever the motivation, let’s say you decide that you need to learn and implement the skills to become a successful property investor to create more streams of income to increase available time and money.
Now, what if you let fear get in the way of your new direction and you decide not to take any action because of the fears I pointed out above?
Well, you’ve now got a whole new set of fears that you need to deal with:
- Fear of living an unfulfilled life in a job you hate for the next X amount of years before you retire.
- Fear of living your retirement years just above the poverty line because your Super Fund has eroded and the government pension barely pays the bills.
- Fear of living with a diminished self worth because you never took the chance when it was presented to you.
I don’t know about you but I find the latter fears to have much more persuasiveness over what decisions I make in my life today.
How Do I Implement Change?
That’s all well and good but how do we bust through those self made barriers and use the emotion of fear to drive us forward?
Here’s my 5 step plan to eliminate emotional blockages that stem from fear, self doubt or self sabotage:
- Get really passionate about what you want to move towards… the more emotion you connect with it the better.
- Get really intimate with the pain and struggle that will manifest if you don’t start moving towards the goal you set in the previous step.
- Take ownership and responsibility of everything that happens to you in life, whether it’s your doing or not. It’s your life… own ALL of it, no excuses!
- Know that you will fail but that each failure brings success with it. Value each defeat like the trophy that it is on your way to freedom and fulfillment.
- Be grateful for what you already have and the opportunity you now have to progress further if you choose.
Truly embracing and implementing the above 5 steps provide you with the power and inner authority to achieve anything and everything.
And here’s the kicker… No matter how successful you become, in whatever you are pursuing, the fear doesn’t go away. Whatever heights you scale, that fear will continually present itself. It’s part of the human condition.
But don’t let that dishearten you… because the more you bust through your fear barriers, the more you start to embrace the fear.
Embracing fear is a powerful skill – because the fear becomes the confirmation of the growth and success that lies ahead.
Ready For The Next Step?
Ever wondered how other people get their property investing started – even while working a 9-to-5 job – while you’re still stuck on the fence, unable to find a deal that stacks up?
If you’ve been letting fear hold your property investing career back, it’s time to take control, and this resource is the best place to start – guaranteed.
Bring it on!