If your next reno or subdivision property was built pre-1990, beware:
It’s likely you have asbestos in the roof sheeting, the wet areas of your home (laundry, bathroom, kitchen), maybe even in an old shed out the back.
But the list doesn’t end there… Far from it!
You Can Often Find Asbestos In:
- Outdoor Toilets: Although strange now, back in the ’50s to the ’80s, outdoor toilets were a common feature in many Australian homes. And these toilets were often made with asbestos roofing. While new homes aren’t built with outdoor toilets anymore, demolishing the old ones is a tricky, dangerous, and potentially expensive task.
- Dog Kennels & Cubby Houses: Older dog kennels and kids cubby houses were often made from leftover building asbestos. (Can you imagine your precious children or pets breathing this poison in?!)
- Outdoor Pergolas, Garages and Retaining Walls: It’s often the exterior add-ons you forget about when you survey a property, so take a walk in the backyard and assess the area! Anything pre-1990 deserves your careful attention!
- Barbeques: Asbestos cement sheeting was often used to the underside of the barbeque or to support the ceramic tiles used around the barbeque benchtop. Oops!
- Electrical Meter Boxes: Did you know asbestos was often used in older-style electrical fuse and meter boxes? Electrical backing boards were manufactured containing asbestos as a fire retardant and to resist electrical arcing. And even boards with new digital meters and modern circuit breakers may still be mounted… on the old asbestos board!!!
Asbestos Won’t Just Kill Your Project… It May Very Well Kill YOU!
This horrid cement based material has already killed over ten thousand Australians since the ’80s. And cancer experts predict it will kill 25 thousand more in the coming decades.
But then again, you can’t avoid it!
Despite the phase-out initiated more than 30 years ago, and despite the total ban enforced since 2003 – – Asbestos is still pretty much everywhere.
There’s no way around it –
If You Invest In Property, You Need To Know The Right Way To Deal With Asbestos!
Otherwise, you might end up losing much more than just money.
Using active property strategies like Renovation, Subdivision and Development you are more than likely going to need to demolish a property at some stage… or at least shift it or renovate it!
It’s critical you learn how to remove asbestos properly.
Not Sure Where To Start?
Join the Ultimate Property Hub – the #1 secret weapon for part-time investors wanting to transform into a full-time, financially free investors as fast as humanely possible.
Take The $1 Trial Now!
Which is why I have requested asbestos expert, Brian Sketcher from Asbestos-Audits Queensland, to send us some of his best tips.
Here’s what Brian had to say: